Did you know lettuce in Kentucky grows during early to late spring and provides essential vitamins like A and C, calcium and iron? These easy weeknight lettuce tacos are a perfect way to make sure your family is getting those vitamins!
Be sure to choose fresh, crisp and brightly colored varieties without blemishes, slime, browning or wilted leaves. Then, store the lettuce washed and dried in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Use locally-grown lettuce from your city’s farmer’s market to create these delicious Lettuce Tacos!
Make the Lettuce Tacos for Your Family Tonight!
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 large lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 ounce packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 ounces low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- In a skillet, heat the oil to medium heat; add ground beef and begin to cook.
- When beef begins to brown, add zucchini, corn and black beans to skillet.
- Then, continue to cook until vegetables are tender and the beef is done. Do not overcook.
- Add in taco seasoning and tomato sauce and heat through.
- Then, add cilantro and lime juice to cooked rice.
- Place equal amounts of rice mixture and taco mixture into lettuce leaves.
- Finally, top each taco with chopped tomato and onion and serve.
This Recipe Was Created By Plate it Up Kentucky Proud. Plate it Up Kentucky Proud is a partnership project between the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service, the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and the University of Kentucky School of Human Environmental Sciences.